Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Consumption Commitments?

If you were here last week or have listened to the talk, you know we discussed the ideas of discipleship and the difference between being consumers and being consumed.  In that vein I wanted to open this post up to you to comments on what that may mean to you.  If you have decided/felt called to make any decisions you wouldn't mind telling us about then post a comment (you can do that at the bottom of this post).  Colbey talked to us about using her property to grow produce, and we all look forward to baskets of free food from her!  At the Dixon house, we have begun to recycle everything we can as a way of cutting down on our wasteful consumption.  Clothing_rack_2

Additionally I, having admitted to a Hudson's problem, have decided that there really should be no reason to buy any new clothing for the next year when I don't really need it.  So unless a true need arises (which I highly doubt) I will be one year behind in my highly refined fashion collection (t-shirts and jeans).  What about you?



8 comments:

  1. I sold one of my cars. Does that count? Because I am keeping the money. But- it's one less thing.
    I tend to hold on to things, thinking there will be use for them later. So in that way- I need to throw things away. Lots of things.
    And if anyone's interested in a 1992 Ford Explorer that needs a new engine, I'd be happy to talk with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's amazing how overly-sensitive i become when friends/family dominate a conversation with talk regarding their events - and yet I do not have a sensor regarding my own conversation dominance.
    so instead of consuming conversation/relationships with events of myself, i'm compelled to concentrate on drawing out 'them.' their being, their thoughts, and what makes them tick. here's to keeping it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking a lot lately about the food we buy, where it comes from, and who it impacts during the growing or production of it. I really want to buy more things locally. It does seem overwhelming at times, though, especially when you try to buy items that are all low fat, the lowest cost, and produced most locally. But I am willing to try! Colbey, I've got my basket ready...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Along the lines of Sarah's comment...can anyone share places we can purchase locally grown stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a underground farmers market downtown on Saturdays @ 8am. I went a few weeks ago and there were only 5 vendors, but I think it was all local produce.
    Directions: Take Hardy to downtown, turn right on Main st, turn right @ Buschman (1st right after you cross railroad tracks). There's a park on the immediate left with a little parking lot, which is where you'll find the local produce vendors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is actually a woman in town who is sort of the "middle man" of sorts for organic veges/fruits. The guy that supplies her also supplies the New Yokel. She is off 28th and she also makes homemade breads (Ezekiel with beans/sprout which is awesome with her home mill). They also are part of an organic co-op but you do not have to do this in order to get fruits and veges. She will e-mail you what is available for the week and you e-mail her back and tell her what you want. You pick them up every Thursday after 5p. Her name is Betty Bingham and her e-mail is iquilt@yahoo.com. New Yokel also has cleaning products which are safe for the environment and biodegradble. They are super concentrated so you only have to use a little and not worry about out little ones eating stuff off the floor (which you know happens whether you like it or not!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is it better to own "cash" than "things"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can buy more with money than things....
    just kidding
    There is nothing better about having money than things. The point is more about whether our general posture in life is one of giving or taking. In the end we are asked to try and learn to conduct ourselves as "living sacrifices" and there is a point in which living as consumers 24/7 may be compromising this call.
    Simplifying is a spiritual discipline that hopefully puts us in a better posture to serve.

    ReplyDelete